Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

It's just a day in the life of, a m(*&%#(*% f*&^%@ bike racer

Have you ever watched this video?  It's so funny.  This blog post is just a day in the life of...me.


It's been awhile since we last spoke.  In the past three weeks I have: been in a wedding, cooked an entire Thanksgiving feast, raced my bike, went to a wedding, attempted to race my bike again, worked, drove to Bend, OR and raced some more, then drove back to Bellingham.

My very good friend went and got hitched on Nov. 20th and it was an awesome beautiful wedding and I was so pleased to be a part of the bridal party.  The weekend was quite an extravagent 2 days, for me at least.  On Saturday we had the rehearsal, and then we were treated to a yummy brunch (thanks Beth and Brian).  Later that day the girls went to get their nails done.  I think I have had my nails done...twice in my life, and a pedicure?  One time, and now two.  It was, needless to say, an experience.  The lady had a heck of a time shaving and scrubbing off my calus filled feet.  I even told her she was getting a work out (I don't think she found it as funny as I did).  Instead of me explaining to you my experience with the language barriers how about I let you watch this video and look at the pictures. 


After my feet and hands were rubbed, scrubbed, and painted we had a girls night and watched Bridesmaids.  The next day the real fun "pampering" began.  As you know me...I had to go for a run, so I woke up a little early and went for a nice crisp morning jog before the mayhem began.  Our first trip was to the hair salon to get our hair done.  I searched high and low for a picture of what I wanted for my hair, and found something I wanted.  So when it was my time I told the girl:

1)  I didn't want to look bald with my hair up
2) I wanted something curly

The first thing she did to me was pull my hair directly back and slicked it up with some hair spray, and curls?  What curls?  The end result?  Sarah Palin.  $52 later I looked like Sarah Palin.  I had no time to tell the lady I didn't like my hair, we had to get to the make up place, so I...let it be, I was ready for a day at the office.  Next was my face's turn to be pampered.  I thought the lady would take her time when doing my make up, she didn't.  2 of the bridesmaids had their make up start at least 20 minutes before me, and the girl finished my make up at least 10 minutes before theirs was done.  One look in the mirror, and I looked like a China Doll.  No time to tell her I don't like it. 

So we raced to the venue looking like a Sarah Palin China Doll.  I just told myself, it wasn't my day and who cares what I look like, as long as the Bride was happy and looked beautiful then I don't care about me. 


Isn't she beautiful?!!!!!

AND, I caught the bouqet!

Thanksgiving was fantastic!  I cooked for 20 and had 9 guests.  We had so much left over it was awesome.  Chris and I ate well for quite a few days. 

Sunday Nov. 27th we raced at Monroe for the Seattle Series Finale race.  The weather was....cross weather.  Pouring rain all morning, all day, with big gusts of wind and cold temperatures.  I don't want to bore you with any details of how my awful race went, but it did go something like this...

There was mud, and a lot of it, there was also a lot of moisture, some barriers, a run up, a decent, and some turns.  Oh, and a falling leg warmer.  If you where at the race and you saw my awesome look going on...I wasn't going for a new gansta' trend, my leg warmer wouldn't stop falling off my leg...so I eventually stopped racing, pulled over, and took my mudd covered leg warmer off and handed it over to a spectator...as I did this....3rd place passed me...putting me in, well, 3rd place.  I pouted for awhile and then decided I should try to chase her.  Time ran out and I finished 3rd.  I wasn't too stoked on a 3rd place finish.  That's my worst finish this year, but I was able to hold onto the series...so I WON THE SEATTLE SERIES!  It was my goal going into the season, and to know I achieved my goal makes me feel DAMN good!

This last weekend Chris and I made the annual trip to Bend to race bikes!  Ever since the first year Nationals was at Bend, we have gone every year (third year now).  I have a large crush on Bend and have nothing but good things to say about that city!  This year the USGP was moved from Portland to Bend, it would be my grand finale of my cyclocross season.  There was only one thing missing from the course this year.

MUD!

The course was BONE dry, dusty, gravel, bumpy, FAST.  There was NO slogging around this course this year.  Apparently Bend has been sunny for a long time now, and they have not seen any precipitation recently!  There was a race on Saturday and Sunday and I was racing with the Elite women.  My goal going into the races was to NOT get lapped by the leaders. 

Watch the race day videos on cycling dirt

Saturday I had the best call up a non-ranked rider could get!  Number 25!  I drew a lucky number I guess, so I knew luck had to have been on my side.  I tried to remain as calm as I could at the start of the race and to not worry about anything just race my bike in a smooth fashion.  Before I knew it, I was catching and passing ladies.  On lap 4 I was talking to myself through a corner about being smooth and in control, then the next thing I knew I was on my ass!  I washed out on some gravel I suppose.  I jumped up, laughed it off tried to get back onto my bike, but my break had wedged onto the wheel!  I yanked my brake out of my wheel and finally got it moving again, but I had lost 3 spots. 

By the end of the race I was able to gain back 2 of the 3 spots I lost from the crash and I finished 19th/41 riders.  I was stoked!  That's not too bad for my first big UCI race.  Katerina Nash won the race and was approx 3 minutes and 40 something seconds ahead of me.  She's such a stud!  At the end of the race I felt better once I heard how many women crashed...there where quite a few that went down. 

Sunday was a whole new day!  This time I pulled the LAST number!  So I was the last call up.  Oh well!  Sunday didn't go quite as well as SAturday and I finished 21st, but I still had a great time, loved racing my bike, and I am very proud of my accomplishments!  There is an awesome video someone took of me on my facebook page, but I couldn't figure out how to get it on here, so you if you want to watch it go to my page! 

This year has been such a great year for me, that I can only hope next year goes just as well, or even better!  I am SO motivated to train this next year, train hard on the road so I can become stronger and faster for next cross season!

Sorry for the lack of interesting photos.  I really was trying to find some!

No comments:

Post a Comment