Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

if you want it bad enough, you can get it...part 2

Remember last week how I said if you really want it, you can have it.  It still remains true.  I didn't really know I was going to have a part 2 from last weeks blog post.  Oh well.  As I lined up for the final MFG race in 9th place for the series, it didn't matter how the race went because I had no expectations for the series.  Just another fun cross race.  The series finale took place at Woodland Park in Seattle, close to Greenlake.  This course was my 3rd cross race ever 3 years ago as a Cat 4 AND it was my first cross win ever!  So I kind of have an attatchment to the course. 

Having no expectations for the race I decided I wanted to do as well as I could to win some cash.  So that meant I wanted 1st or 2nd.  I wanted cash, and MFG pays well.  As soon as we started Mel got the hole shot again with Kristy right on her wheel.  To be honest, I don't ever want the hole shot because...who can hold that pace for the rest of the race?  How many times does the hole shot winner actually win?  I sat third wheel behind Kristy through the first few turns of the course and thats when I saw Mel was pulling away from Kristy, I needed to make my move...so I did.  I jumped past Kristy and hopped right onto Mel's wheel and stayed there until we hit the barriers.


I completely hyjaked this photo from Mel's blog.  Her significant other takes fabulous photos.  Here is where I made my move... 

I was able to get through the barries just a tiny bit faster than Mel, hopped on my bike, and then I heard her scream, and apparently from there she had some technical difficulties.  Kristy was hot on my wheel after that and stuck there until the run up when I was able to form a gap.  As I mounted back onto my bike I thought about what I wanted to do, I had a small gap between the group of 3 behind me and I wasn't sure if I wanted to hold back or go hard.  So I thought about it going up the 2 climbs and decided once I went through the start/finish I was going to make my attack.  That's what I did.  I gained a larger gap and kept my eyes on the competition, making sure my gap was getting larger or maintaining with each lap, which it was, AND I didn't have to go full gas like last weekend!  YAY!  I don't like being THAT uncomfortable during a race.  I just thought to myself, once I have a gap all I need to do is go as fast as the competition and they wont catch me!  I wanted that cash and I wanted it bad!  Oh yea the course is an absolute blast as well!!!  One of my favorites. 

I finished with a solid win and felt great at the end of the race.  I had an awesome cheer crew there with my parents and my dads friends out cheering for me, Chris, Katie, and my team!  It was just wonderful. 

My friend Joey, from CX Magazine (or internet famous Joey's Ok), was reporting on the race that day and had a great write up!  Thanks Joey for all the cheering and recording my gap each lap! 

My friend and teammate Aaron informed me that I was ranked #37 in the country for women riders this week.  I didn't know what he was talking about, so I did a little research and discovered this.

Not to bad if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment