Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Growing Pains

Do you ever sit down and realize how old you are and think about where you should be in your life, and compare yourself to where others are?  Sometimes I do this and today I began to feel okay about my life.  The past 3-4 months have kind of been a whirl wind of emotions of trying to decide what to do, wondering why I have no work, and trying to finish my thesis.  I have finally come to terms with my life and how things are going to be, and the best thing that I can do is make changes and make things happen for myself, move forward. 

A step forward started last week.  I need to look at my options in my career path, how can I sell myself, and my services, how can I make the people in this world healthier?  My dad introduced me to the president of a company here in Bellingham, so Jeri (my group ex coordinator) and I went to their HR heads to discuss some corporate wellness/fitness options to the company.  It was a really great experience for me to sit in/be a part of a discussion like this.  I just hope that it can help propel my business forward. 

My second step forward include my finances.  If you don't know already, I love stuff, expensive stuff and I am in a constant battle to pay off my credit card.  Over the past yearish I decided I should start putting some money into my savings account so I had some money when I was finally cut off from my dad.  My account has slowly built up, it's not amazing, but I have a little back up money in my savings...until I bought a new bike and went to Hawaii.  Now I am back to adding money to my savings and slowly rebuilding that savings account right back up.  While I am trying to put money into my savings, I am also trying to pay off my credit card bill that keeps accumulating.  I know, I know, you are probably asking why I just don't pay it off with my money from my savings, I have  weird way of thinking about it.  ANYWAYS.  Looking at my credit card statement, and my recent pay checks it came to my realization that I am finally going to be paying off that damn credit card that I have been working towards paying off for months now.  I feel so grown up.  I feel so excited, and smart.  I am now thinking about what I am going to do with my tax return, and when I graduate officially from my Masters some more cash flow.  I can't WAIT!  I want to put that money off somewhere so I can't spend it, so I can't look at it staring me in the face asking to be spent. 

I had one other thought concerning my finances.  Biking is the most expensive thing I do.  I want to open up a separate bank account where I can just put money to spend on biking expenses.  For example: race entry fees, hotels/houses, gas, licenses, etc.  I think it would be such a good thing for me to manage how much money I am spending on this rich person sport.  That way, I can know exactly how much I am spending on races, AND I can budget myself. 

This month I am working on looking at my expenses, and cutting back next month.  The hardest thing for me to cut back on:

My morning latte. 

Dang it. 

1 comment:

  1. For long term cash savings, we use a brokerage account with a company called Fidelity. Minimum deposit is $250, and it takes 3 days to get the money out, which sure keeps us from ever spending it...we also use Fidelity for our Roth IRA and stocks.

    ReplyDelete