Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

USGP Ft. Collins

Not a fancy title... I know, but today, I'm not creative.  Instead, I'm tired.  I had the privilage of waking up at 3am (mountain time, 2am PST) to catch a bus out of Boulder at 3:30am to get to the airport in time for my 6:30am flight back to Seattle.  I know 3:30am sounds early, but the next bus was just a smidgen too late for my comfort.  Who cares about what bus I took to get to DIA, lets hear about racing.

I always try to keep my words short and sweet, but sometimes when I think it's short, it turns out it's quite lengthy, for that, I apologize!

Day #1:

The day started out looking like it was going to be some epic Washington Cyclocross conditions.  Lots of rain, a little wind, rain, mud, cold, did I mention rain?  Oh and some mud.  Boy was I looking forward to my first cross race of the year in the MUD!  I pre-rode around 12pm, and by 1pm the rain stopped and the course was drying out.  What-the-heck!  If that was Washington the mud would have gotten deep and peanut buttery, but To-To I don't think we're in Washington anymore.  Much to my surprise the course was actually quite tacky and was drying quickly, just in time for the Elite Women's race.  Lucky me, I drew number 43, so I had the privalge of starting in the back (you know, the last row).  I chose the right side of the course to start on, knowing lots of people would move left and that way I could swoop past them on the right side.  It worked pretty well, but I did find myself mid pack in the 3rd corner.  As I looked up ahead of me I watched the front of the race ride away about 3 corners away.  Starting in the back sucks.  I managed to crawl my way to a 12th place finish, even though my legs kind of felt like lead.  That was a weird sensation, but I heard thats what altitude will do to you.  This was my best UCI finish!  I had a great time, scored some more UCI points, made some bucks, and had a ton of fun.  I love this racing business.

Day #2:

The luck of the draw.  Literally..I wasn't so lucky with my drawing a number out of bag, number 38.  Maybe it's the 2nd to last row, WAHOO!  I started on the ride side again, made the same moves, but they didn't go too well for me this day.  My start didn't put me as far forward as I would have liked.  The bonus for today was how my legs felt.  SO-MUCH-BETTER.  But the racing was much faster, that the whole race I don't think I ever caught my breath (altitude?  I thought I was suffocating).  I was extremely tired working my booty off trying to move forward.  I was flimsy, un-graceful, and..choppy (for lack of a better word).  I was redlining it, gunning it, the whole time.  Come the last lap I found myself in a group of 3, all vying for that 10th place finish (UCI POINTS)!  On one of the up hill climbs I put in 120% effort to get in front of the girls, and I did.  the outcome?  Fatigued legs, a tired face, lack of oxygen, and a 12th place finish.  The girls passed me with about 1 minute to go in the race.  Lesson learned, suck wheel more, trust your sprint.

I can't wait for this years UCI points to kick in.  Truthfully, I am done starting in the back of the pack!  When I look at my lap times they are very comparable to 7th, 8th, 9th, place finishers, but it's that first lap time that is 15-20 seconds slower than theirs because they get to start in the front and don't have to work through all that traffic for the first lap of the race.  They don't have to work 193% to get past all 30 riders.  Soon enough I will be rewarded!

All in all I had a great weekend.  Russell Stevenson and Nikole hosted me for the weekend, I got to meet their adorable little man, hang with cool people, and see a new city.

Total UCI points since Vegas and after USGP: 10

Next time I race a USGP I will get a call up and wont have to draw my number from a bag.  YIPPEE!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment