Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

All about our Nugget

Today is one of those days where I don't think it's going to stop raining (a solid 40 degrees with continuous rain), so why not blog?

Back when Nugget and I first met, she couldn't have been older than 4 weeks here
I realized that as my reader (which I know there has to be at least 2...yep that's you Dad and John) you must get bored reading about my racing.  So why not tell you a little about my life.

Nugget after the first night of keeping me up
I'm a cat person...not a dog person.  I don't like it when dogs jump on you or smell you, or they get SO freakin' excited to see you, it's over whelming.  Cats are simple, smart, curious, and adorable.  I love cats.  They are also fluffy, and I like fluffy, so therefore I have wanted a kitten for SO long (Chris said no way)!

The opportunity came and I could get a kitten (Chris still said no way), I didn't listen to him and one day we went and picked up the kitten when she was just a wee little one (8 weeks and hardly 2 pounds).  I picked the cute cross eyed white one, she just needed to come home with me.  Well, I learned a lot about cats and kittens in just a couple of days of having her around.  After she peed and $h&% on our bed because she didn't like the cat litter we bought, we decided to call her Nugget, and immediately went out and bought the litter she likes (please note we haven't had a problem since...actually she likes to roll around in her litter...it's weird I know).

I like flowers.
After about 2 weeks (it felt like 2 months) I didn't think I could handle this little terror any more.  She literally woke me up in the middle of the night 2-3x wanting to play, wanting to eat.  She would attack my ear rings, my ring, my hair, my everything.  I couldn't get away from her.  She didn't sleep, I swear.  If I was home she was attacking my leg, if I was eating she was putting her face in my food.  When she did sleep, I would tip toe around the house hoping she wouldn't wake up.  I took the opportunity to leave for bike rides as a break from the wild freakin' kitten.  She was (still is) a very acrobatic kitten.  Jumping on everything, as high as she could, wanting to be on the couch, the kitchen counter, the windowsills, climbing the curtains.  I couldn't handle this little devil, so we convinced our friends they needed her.

They took her.  It was like a little piece of heaven at home, but truthfully I shed a few tears when she wasn't there.  It took me about a week to get over the fact that I just gave away this cute little Nugget who was just so innocent, but then I remembered I could sleep.  After about 2 weeks of Nugget being gone, we received word that she just wasn't working out at her "new" home.  So, we got the Nugget back and tried to find a new home for her (with no such luck).

Please take me with you
The little devil bitch has grown on me, and she is actually the coolest, smartest, most rockin' cat I know (okay the cutest too).  We bonded, she would follow me into the shower and pace back and forth on the tub between the shower liner and shower curtain, occasionally she would even fall in (she hated it).  She stopped attacking my leg, and together we discovered the laser pointer.  I discovered that if we locked her in the bathroom when she woke up in the middle of the night we couldn't hear her crying to get let out, then she learned, don't wake us up in the middle night.  We have now taught her not to wake us up in the morning when she wants food, if she does...we kick her out into the hall way.  She knows that the only time to wake us up is when our alarms go off and we sit up.  She knows that when we are sleeping in bed (okay most of the time we are faking it because we don't want to get up) and she pounces at us from the floor, she tip toes to the foot of the bed and falls asleep.  I can't deny that it can be scary to have a cat pounce right at your face, but sometimes you have to ignore it for the sake of wanting more sleep.

With the help of treats and food I have taught Nugget to sit.  She has learned that if she wants a treat that she cannot (I repeat cannot) jump up to me for the treat, she must sit like the good little kitty that she is.  Then I decided I got annoyed of the meowing and jumping when she wanted her meals, so now I make her sit before she gets fed (controlling much).  She gets it and follows my commands (smart kitty).  The only problem with this is now when I am in the kitchen preparing myself food she comes trotting (lets be honest...sprinting) into the kitchen and then she sits immediately and looks at me with that sweet face (thinking she is getting a treat) and I can't say no to that.

Nuggets favorite blanket
She is a sweet little kitty, she cuddles up to me in bed when I sleep in, she says goodbye to me when I leave the house (by jumping up onto the windowsill by the front door), she greets me at the door when I come home, she talks to me in her own kitty language (some other language that isn't meows).  We go on "runs" around the house (I lead her in a really excited voice and she follows me), she especially likes this game when the laser pointer is involved.  She lets me cut her nails, rub her belly, and take her for car rides crate free!  She is just the best, I just love that little Freakin' Nugget. 



Tucked away and sleeping


Sometimes she hides her eyes from me while sleeping.  I think she is trying to make it as dark as possible

She must smell everything

Tiny fuzzy Nugget

She likes to chill in sinks...but only for about 60 seconds


Always distracted

I had to share with you how awesome all 6 pounds my cat is and how she has grown to take over my heart and even Chris's.  He just loves her to pieces, and she loves him too (but me more).

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year, Courtenay to you, Chris and Nugget!!!!!! I just wanted to say HI to you and how impressed with your cycling schedule -- you never cease to amaze me and I certainly miss seeing you on a daily basis. I joined the Tennis Club in September (not tennis, but the fitness center and I love it there.) Tough cycling classes, boot camp, trx and now yoga, which I have never done. I also just started running again after 8 months of letting my left ankle with tendenitis get better.

    I'm sure you and Chris had a wonderful first, married Christmas together and will have many more.

    I would love to come and take Power Pump from you sometime, if you are still teaching on Thursday's at noon.

    I love the Nugget pictures -- I love both cats and dogs, but grew up with a lot more cats and they are soooo funny.

    Well better go, but just wanted to touch base.

    Most sincerely,

    Judith Dawe

    ReplyDelete