Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Winter Hibernation

Is there anyone else out there that does not like the cold?  I just can't take it anymore.  It is SO cold. 

Winter training is really hard when it is this cold.  I struggle trying to motivate myself to get outside and ride my bike, even run!  All I want to do is cuddle up in warm clothes and sit on the couch sipping on some hot chocolate.  At some point though, I have to snap out of it.  I can't just sit around all day being lazy.  So here I am, struggling once again in this Winter cold, it's the same thing every year.  At least last year it wasn't too cold, but this year is the opposite.  It's FREEZING outside.  Yesterday I went for a mountain bike ride on Galbraith and there were glaciers, YES GLACIERS, on some of the rocks on the trails.  Half the trails were covered in snow and ice, it was hazerdous to my body to be out there (I can't lie and say I didn't have fun though).

Now that cross is basically over (one last fun race to go this Saturday) it's time to start training for the road season, which means it's time to be cold, wet, and miserable on my road bike.  I don't mind riding in the rain occasionally, but it's hard to find someone who wants to ride with me in the rain on a regular basis, then I have a hard time finding motivation.  Motivation...it keeps coming up.  I think I am incredibly unmotivated these days.  Maybe it's because I am almost 26 years old and I don't do anything with my life (or so it feels).  I work less than 15 hours/week and probably exercise about that too.  I can't even find the motivation to finish my thesis that is about 1 hour of edits away from being complete. 

I need to find these things in my life:
Motivation
At least 30 hours of work a week (I would settle for even 25)
Balance
Perhaps a new job
New surroundings (I do love Bellingham)
Friends that I see on a regular basis
Money to pay off my credit card

I keep telling myself that something good is going to come up for me here in Bellingham, but it's been nearly 8 years since I have lived here and nothing "good" has come along.  Don't get me wrong I am very fortunate to have 2 jobs in this economy, but both my jobs are basically contract work.  If the people don't come, I don't work.  I try to stay positive and not stress about the lack of any financial stability I currently have in my life, but sometimes it's hard.  Poor Chris has deal with my lack of money, and most of the time I feel bad for him paying for nearly everything

I for some reason started this post off talking about riding in the winter, and now I am talking about my lack of an interesting life.  HMM.  Perhaps life is better for you. 

1 comment:

  1. i, too, cannot stand the cold anymore. this morning when i woke up it was 16 degrees out. riDICK. too cold for me. and yet rémy somehow motivated me to go out and run in the freezing sun. you know once you get out there you feel good and you're glad you changed out of your pajamas for a few hours! sounds like what you need is a running/riding buddy... you'll kick my ass, but in a few weeks when i'm on u.s. soil i'm definitely in for a ride/run or two (or three or more).

    ReplyDelete