Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Nationals Day #1

We made it to Bend just in time to pick up our numbers for the races!  This was a plus because my race the next day was at 8 am and Chris's was at 9:15. 

The next day we wake up around 6am do the usual pre-race stuff and when we go to ride the course someone informs us my race was delayed by 30 minutes.  GREAT!  Chris and I start riding the course, and holy smokes it was SO icy!  If you could ride on the slushy stuff that was a plus, you just had to get to the slushy stuff.  Around 8:20 I head over to the start line.  We were there for about 45 minutes while USA cycling started shoveling off the ice on the pavement, hoping the sun would come out to melt the ice a little bit.  Then the de-icer came, and we FINALLY lined up, around 9:15. 

The call-ups were done by use of a deck of cards.  I pulled out a 4, they started at ace's and went up from there, so I got a front row call up!  HECK YEAH!  We started the race, and as per the usualy start of my races I couldn't get my foot clipped in, but then I realized that not many people were flying by me so it wasn't a big deal.  Once I did get clipped in I got on the course about 4 people back (from 25ish) and I realized it wasn't going to be a fast race.  Once on course the ice had melted quite a bit so it was a combo of slush and mud, and some icy spots.  After the first half of the first lap it was myself and another rider in the front, and it was clear that race was between her and I.  By the 2nd lap I had caught up to her  in the super snowy section, then she crashed and I got in front.  A bit after that she took the lead again, and on one lap to go I wasn't too interested in pushing myself really hard in the icy stuff.  I didn't feel the need to crash before the Sunday race. 

One thing I have learned this season is it's good to push yourself, but when you push yourself too much you begin to lose control of your bike as you get tired.  There is a fine line between working hard and working too hard to the point where you begin to lose your smoothness around the corners, and in this races circumstance through the ice and snow. 

It was a fun race, fun course, and I can't wait for Sunday's race. 

Women's B race podium.  2nd place with some new tires.

2 comments: